Field Memorial Community Hospital – Southwest Mississippi
Field Memorial Community Hospital (FMCH) was built as a Hill-Burton institution (funded by federal grants and guaranteed loans) in 1952 on land with boundaries gerrymandered by two counties. Rich in community pride and with the highly-regarded “Field” family of doctors caring for its patients over generations—this Critical Access Hospital has been a vital source of healthcare in Southwest Mississippi for more than 70 years. However, without support from the bicounty jurisdictions the hospital served, there was limited funding for facility upgrades and new medical equipment. Furthermore, the building was literally crumbling and had to be replaced – or closed.
In 2011, sketches for a replacement hospital were drawn; in fact, the drawings were essentially premised on replacing exactly what was already in operation at the old site. In cadence with these sketches, Quorum advised that FMCH develop a Strategic Business Plan to assure a long-term, sustainable operation could be maintained in the new facility. In other words, Quorum advised that FMCH conduct a service line assessment to help determine what core medical programs would be required to meet the needs of the community, as well as which services were operationally and financially sound at the hospital.