Better Documentation, Better Bottom Line
One Organization’s Journey to Implement a Clinical Documentation Improvement Program
Located in Summersville, West Virginia - Summersville Regional Medical Center (SRMC) has served Nicholas County and the surrounding area for over three decades. Rooted by a deep commitment to deliver high-quality, cost-effective healthcare to its community--SRMC wanted to make sure that its clinical documentation accurately reflected the patient care being provided and that it was obtaining the proper reimbursement necessary to survive healthcare reform and the transition to ICD-10.
SRMC sought to implement a Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) Program to help assure compliant documentation and proper reimbursement. The hospital also believed the CDI engagement would result in:
- Shorter length of stay (LOS)
- Higher case mix index
- Increased Medicare Severity Diagnosis Related Group (MS-DRG)
- Better educated physicians on CDI flexibility for future expansion needs
To improve physician documentation, coding and patient acuity, Quorum Health Resources' consultants began by assessing 30 of SRMC’s records. The next priority was to provide six weeks of on-site CDI education for employed physicians and clinicians. At QHR’s recommendation, SRMC selected a case manager and a registered nurse from the emergency department to serve as the Clinical Documentation Specialists for physician documentation. These two clinicians continue to work directly with the physicians to improve documentation practices.
In just six months, SRMC has experienced the following outcomes as a result of its newly launched CDI Program:
- Increased reimbursement (+$18,000) and quality scores by resubmitting 30 charts with correct clinical documentation
- Reduced average LOS from 4.5 days to 3.7 days
- Increased case mix index from 1.16 in 2014 to 1.22 in one year, a five percent increase as a result of improved clinical documentation
- Increased reimbursement at an annualized rate of approximately $500,000 due to more accurate clinical documentation
Want to learn more from Quorum Health Resources?
“QHR’s proactive approach helped us get paid the proper amount, based on patient acuity. The engagement continues to benefit us, empowering our CDI specialists and entire team to focus on providing quality care to our patients. QHR designed an education program to meet the unique needs of our organization, which has been instrumental in successfully implementing a CDI Program. We are thankful we had QHR to help us through the journey and are proud of our staff for their efforts to achieve these exceptional results.”
Mark Lovell, CFO
Summersville Regional Medical Center